Facts about Indian Americans
Indian Americans are greatly contributing to the making of America.
A large number of the Indian-American population is engaged in professions such as Information Technology, medicine, scientific research, and have managerial and professional specialties. About 77% of the Indian-American population holds a professional position.
- About 77% of the Indian-American population holds a professional position.
- 43.6% are employed in managerial and professional specialties.
- 33.2% are employed in technical, sales, and administrative support occupations.
- 23.3% work as operators, fabricators, laborers and precision production workers.
- More than 50,000 Indian-American physicians practise in the U.S.
- 10% of medical students in U.S. medical schools are of Indian origin.
- There are over 8,000 Indian-American faculty members across American universities.
- Approximately 223,000 Indian-owned firms in the U.S. that employ more than 600,000 employees.
- 7% of Silicon Valley Hi-Tech firms have Indian CEOs.
- Indian origin engineers account for 34% of the total engineers in the Silicon Valley.
- Indian-Americans own 20,000 hotels in the country. Out of this 8530 are independently owned, while 11,626 are franchised.